Re: Rear engined aircraft. (727 DC9 MD80)

From:         d_peters@uoft02.utoledo.edu
Date:         07 Dec 94 01:15:45

>No, airlines cannot jettison engines in flight.  In fact, it usually takes
>a shift or two to change an engine, there are a lot of complex connections
>between the airframe and the engine - electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and
>structural.

Hmmm!!  I think i'll go along with the first assertion, but changing an
engine doesn't take that long with a good crew doing the work and using
a QIC kit (essentially a complete engine with ALL the stuff that goes on
the accessory drive plate attached - so you don't have to change them as
well).

For example:  #1 - While cooling my heals on a Mil chrtr at Yokota AB, Jap,
watched a C-141 pull up about 1300.  Ten minutes later the #3 engine cowling
was gone and there were 2 engine carts under the wing, an empty and a full
one and maybe 6 people.  To keep this brief - they changed an engine and by
roughly 1900 the 141 was on its' way.

No. 2 - We picked up plane #1 (DC-9) at DTW went to MDW.  Enroute had
problems requiring shutdown.  Picked up another plane (#2), went
MDW-DEN-MDW with about a 2.5hr layover DEN.  When we got back to MDW we
had another aircraft change ..... back to #1 !!  Went MDW-LGA uneventfully.
In the time we were gone our maintenance people had changed, tested and
trimmed an engine - imho a very nice job indeed.

For you techno types the shutdown was because of wildly fluctuating EPR,
EGT and N1 speeds.  Nope, didn't find out what caused it, but i suspect
it was something more than just the fuel controller.

Hope you all find this anecdote interesting and not a waste of net.bandwidth.

Regards
	-dave