Re: "Die Zeit" article on Airbus (longish excerpts)

From:         morten.norby@cen.jrc.it (Morten Norby Larsen)
Date:         22 Nov 94 12:10:41

In article 1667@ohare.Chicago.COM, hrz090@aixrs2.hrz.uni-essen.de
(Dr. Erdelen) writes:

[snip snip]

>More interesting is that the article does not describe glass cockpit /
>fly-by-wire as inherently dangerous, but rather emphasizes problems of
>human perception of and reaction to computerization, as well as
>insufficient training procedures: "All pilots had blindly trusted
>their machines."

A slight aside based on hearsay: It seems that the automated/glass
cockpit planes - that undoubtedly do drop out of the sky for human
reasons every now and then - so far have done it outside of the United
States.

We're talking about automated planes here, not Airbus vs. Boeing and
Douglas. I don't know excactly which planes are included
in this category - A320, 757/767, MD11?

Does anybody have more precise statistics?

Anyway, if it is true, the natural question is: Are there differences
in training and/or culture that make American pilots more adapted to
the modern planes? Any clues?

>Airbus is said to have by now recognized that "pilot training has to
>be adapted to the participants' needs, and not vice versa. They, too,
>now offer a seminar on communication and teamwork in the cockpit."

...and have been doing it for years, by the way.

Morten
--
Morten Norby Larsen                  e-mail:    Morten.Norby@cen.jrc.it
Joint Research Center                telephone: +39 332 78 92 18