Re: Glass Cockpits' Video Rates?

From:         akrodriguez@tasc.com (A. Kevin Rodriguez)
Date:         20 Nov 94 01:59:00

On computer monitors I notice a refresh-rate-induced screen
flicker below 70Hz.  Many people would concur.  Why does the
screen have a slower refresh rate?  The lower refresh rate
has been claimed to induce fatigue and eye strain in office
workers.  Has any work been done to evaluate the effects on
airline pilots?  If so, how many hours of flying in a single day
would it take to induce fatigue/eye strain?  I'll accept the
fact that everybody has differing levels of sensitivity to
screen flicker.  Is this an issue with long-haul or short-haul
routes (i.e., long periods on the deck or several flights a day)?
A. Kevin Rodriguez  (AKRodriguez@TASC.com)
The Analytic Sciences Corporation (TASC)
Reading, Massachusetts