Re: Glass Cockpits' Video Rates?

From:         hoyme@src.honeywell.com (Ken Hoyme)
Date:         09 Nov 94 00:51:22

In article <airliners.1994.1682@ohare.Chicago.COM> rogerc@dev1.ssd.fsi.com writes:

>> In article <airliners.1994.1644@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>> philip_decker@lds.loral.com writes:
>>> Am curious about the characteristics of the video signals displayed in
>>> glass cockpit aircraft: sync frequencies, resolution, (non)interlace,
>>> etc...  Also, are all the displays (vertically) sync'd to each other?

> I'm not familiar with the details of how the new flat panel displays
> are driven as in the new Boeing 777 aircraft, but the typical EFIS
> display used throughout the industry receives raster video and stroke
> (vector) video.

Well, the LCD devices on the 777 are inherently raster at the point the
pixels are driven.  In this case, the issue of stroke and raster
treatment of differing data types is an issue for earlier stages of the
graphics generation process.

The B777 flat panels are updated at a 60Hz rate.  I believe that they
are vertically synced to each other, but that is not a detail that I
have personally worked on.  (The architecture is certainly capable of
this.)  I am not certain that the resolution of these devices has been
talked about in the open literature, so I do not feel free to discuss
it.  Suffice it to say that it is a much finer dot pitch than you see on
the average laptop or workstation display.

Ken

Ken Hoyme                    Honeywell Technology Center
(612)951-7354                3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
Internet: hoyme@src.honeywell.com