Re: 747 Fuel Capacity

From:         Don Webster <71352.340@compuserve.com>
Date:         30 Oct 94 21:29:39

>a student has asked me to  find the fuel capacity for a 747 plane.

I have not been reading this section until now, so this question may
have already been answered, but, the capacity of the 747-400 is
approximately 57,164 gallons, which includes 3,300 gallons in the
horizontal stabilizer.  Fuel is contained in six wing tanks,a center
wing tank and the stabilizer tank. In the 747-400 the fuel transfer
process is scheduled automatically with the pilots being notified
by alert messages to turn off certain pumps when a tank is empty.
On a flight from San Francisco to Hongkong, we will burn about 55,000
gallons.

Hope that helps.

Don Webster      71352.340@compuserve.com