Re: Opening a door in flight

From:         rfresh@ix.netcom.com (Ralph Freshour)
Date:         25 Oct 94 10:24:06

In <airliners.1994.1641@ohare.Chicago.COM> d_gooch@pavo.concordia.ca (GOOCH, DANIEL) writes:

>possible to open a door in flight, I just read an article on clari about
>a guy who tried to open a door on an American MD-11.  The article said that
>a numerical code would have been needed to open the door (huh? I assume
>this would be ONLY in the air) and that the air pressure at the altitude
>the plane was at would have kept the door closed.

On the L-1011 TriStar and the B-727, at least, they have "plug type"
doors.  They must move IN before they can be opened (I assume all
jetliner doors work the same way) therefore, there is NO WAY during
pressurized flight that you could open a door!  The PSID would be too
great!  If the door had a manual handle (B-727) you *might* be able to
unlock it but you could not open it in flight.  The L-1011 door is
electric.

--Ralph Freshour