Re: 737 musings

From:         tristar500@aol.com (TriStar500)
Date:         14 Oct 94 02:23:34

In article <airliners.1994.1609@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) writes:

> I believe the USAir incident was blamed in part on a missing or
>incorrectly installed retaining cable.

I believe this cable was added to the design after the aft cone bolt was
found to be a weak spot. There is an AD on the 737-200 that requires a
check of the aft cone-bolt about every 25 hours.  This cable also broke in
the SW 737 incident in DAL a few years ago. The engine remained on the
airplane suspended by the two forward cone bolts.

>Finally, several instances of 727s losing #1 or #3 come to mind -- AA
>from DFW to SAN near the AZ/NM border and NW over northern Florida.
>In both cases, the foreign object damage (FOD) to the engine caused
>the separation

As I recall, these were both number 3 engines and were caused by blue ice
from the forward lav service panel.