Re: 737 musings

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         19 Sep 94 12:36:23

Peter Mellor writes:
>The CFM56 engines which are fitted to the A320 have a different arrangement
>in which 4 separate doors move out of the sides of the engine ... (Seen
>from the front, it would look like 4 petals opening up on a tulip.)

>The 737 that crashed at Pittsburgh was apparently fitted with CFM engines
>which presumably have a blocker door arrangement similar to the CFM56.

The 737 (-300 and later) has CFM56 engines too.  However, they are the
CFM56-3 series, as opposed to the CFM56-5 series used on the A320 which
have CFM engines.  (The IAE V2500 is also available.)

None of this really matters, though, since thrust reversers (and the
nacelle) are usually designed by the airframe manufacturer and not the
engine manufacturer.  From what I recall of the reversers on a 737,
they don't match your description from the A320.  I recall there being
a large panel on each side which moves outwards, remaining parallel to
its original position.  There's a grating behind them; I'm not sure of
what goes on inside that.

Some time ago, Robert Dorsett posted a good description of how thrust
reversers work.  I haven't had a chance to dig it out, but archives of
the newsgroup are available for anonymous ftp on ftp.kei.com and
rascal.ics.utexas.edu if anyone is curious.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls