Re: Steels used in jet engine bearings

From:         Andrew Chuang <chuanga@iia.org>
Date:         19 Sep 94 01:28:39

Eric Bartsch <bartsch@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>   I have a rather obscure question which hopefully will be read by someone
> at P&W or GE. I have been doing research on the growth of cracks in jet
> engine roller-bearings and have found that the material used in the older
> bearings (AISI 52100 steel) is apparently not currently widely available.
> I was wondering if anyone knows a) if there is some hidden source for 52100
> I haven't yet found (I've been searching for about 1.5 months) b) if there
> is a different alloy that is now used in its place, or c) the actual
> suppliers used for these bearings (i.e. Timken, etc...) Any information anyone
> has would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about bearing and materials.  However, I just read an
article in _Flight International_ on the PW4804.  (There is a nice cut-away
drawing of the engine.  Also, last week, there was a drawing of the B777.)
The No. 1 bearing balls are made of 52100, while the No. 1 bearing ring as
well as other berings are made of M50.

> (I realize that this isn't quite on the charter of sci.aeronautics.airliners
> but this group seems to have the best odds for being read by someone with
> relevant expertise)

You may want to try sci.materials.