Re: US Air crash (flight 427, ORD-PIT)

From:         kward@apple.com (Ken Ward)
Date:         19 Sep 94 01:28:38

In article <airliners.1994.1578@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:

> US Air flight 427 from Chicago (O'Hare) to Pittsburgh crashed about 8
> miles short of the Pittsburgh airport at 705p local time this evening
> (Thursday).  It apparently rolled and went down nose first, into a
> wooded ravine near Alliquippa, north of the airport.  That part sounds
> very much like UA 585 in Colorado Springs on March 3, 1991, though in
> this case the weather was clear and there were reports of an explosion
> (from the descriptions it might have been a compressor stall) prior to
> the plane departing from its normal flight path.

I've read reports that the CVR included the phrase "Traffic emergency!  Oh
Shit!"  Other reports have stated that there were no other aircraft in the
vicinity.  I'm wondering if there couldn't have been a hang glider or
powered ultralight (both FAR Part 103 vehicles) that surprised this pilot,
and that over controlling resulted in the 737 hitting the ground.  There
was a recent incident in Arizona, I believe, where an airliner on approach
declared a traffic emergency for a hang glider, resulting in a near wing
over.