Re: US Air crash (flight 427, ORD-PIT)

From:         raveling@netcom.com (Paul Raveling)
Date:         19 Sep 94 01:28:36

Karl Swartz (kls@ohare.Chicago.COM) wrote:
: US Air flight 427 from Chicago (O'Hare) to Pittsburgh crashed about 8
: miles short of the Pittsburgh airport at 705p local time this evening
: (Thursday).  It apparently rolled and went down nose first, ...

	Descriptions on the news make me think first of a stall,
	initiated on one wing.  I also wonder whether there could
	be a "ghost" of the old rare problems with rudder
	hard-over conditions.

: ...  All 126 passengers (only 2 empty seats)
: and 5 crew were believed to have been killed.

	One of the passengers was (Dr.) Dave Garber, an old friend
	from the early eighties.  At that time my wife worked with him
	at the Northrop Research and Technology Center, and we enjoyed
	sharing some off-hours in parties, ski trips & such.  I understand
	that many of the same group still work for Northrop and were
	understandably shocked to learn of Dave's death.

Paul Raveling
Raveling@netcom.com