Re: Low wing turbo-prop

From:         ehahn@fairlite.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         19 Sep 94 01:28:34

In article <airliners.1994.1583@ohare.Chicago.COM> irksome@netcom.com (Ian Urquhart) writes:

   I was at Dulles last week and noticed United Express flew these low wing,
   five-bladed twin turbo-props.  They have a fin along the lower side of
   the tailcone presumably for additional longitudinal stability.  The
   empennage is cruciform; not T-tail and not "conventional".  It looks like an
   Embraer and my guess is that it is a new generation version of the Bandit,
   the affectionate name for the Bandierante given to the plane by my first
   instructor who went off to fly for UEx.

   Could anyone verify this?  Thanks

   Ian Urquhart
   irksome@netcom.com
-----
United Express at Dulles flys two basic aircraft types, of which the
low wing is the Jetstream 31/41.  The other is a DHC-8 ("Dash 8"),
which of course is high wing.

Both Jetstreams are manufactured by British Aerospace, Ltd.  I don't
know if Embraer is a partner in the design or manufacture, however.

The 31 seats 19 passengers, and the 41 seats 30 passengers.

And they do look sharp in the new paint!

Hope this helps,
ed

////////   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   \\\\\\\\