Re: United ad

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         16 Sep 94 04:30:21

>i've seen some video of tests on the 747 wing in which the fuselage
>end is held in place and the wing tip raised mechanically ...
>certainly 100 average-sized adults aren't going to matter.

That test is loading the internal structure of the wing, not the
surface of the skin.  Likewise, the fuel isn't sitting on the upper
skin, plus it's evenly distributed (within a tank) rather than being
focused at numerous points.  Mechanics crawling over the wing show
that the skin can support a human being, but I wouldn't want to risk
my $125 million airplane with a hundred or more people, and those high
heels would be a real big worry.

All of which is academic, of course, since the ad was clearly created
with smoke and mirrors, otherwise known as a (possibly electronic)
darkroom.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls