Re: New Boeing 737-800 anouncement

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         16 Sep 94 04:30:18

Robert Ashcroft <rna@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>In article <airliners.1994.1570@ohare.chicago.com>,
>Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.Chicago.COM> wrote:
>
>>The 737-800 is 9'2" longer than the 737-400, room for more than 3
>>additional rows or another 18 seats.  With the 30 in. pitch you get
>>186.
>
>Very interesting.  Is the 737 going to end up longer than the 707, or
>is it already?

The 737-800 is still a smaller airplane than the 707, though just about
the same length as the 720B.  The 737-800 is 129.5 ft long, including
the horizontal tail.  The 720B's body is 130.5 ft long; including the
horizontal tail would make that a bit longer.  The 707-320C (still in
scheduled commercial passenger service by the way) is 145.5 ft long.

>Also, someone raised the question of the 737 needing higher main
>gears to allow the tail to clear.  Is this part of the new wing?
>And I think I asked the following already, but I can't remember if
>someone answered---will the new 737s have real main gear doors,
>or will it still be the current weird open arrangement?

The Next Generation 737s will continue to use the main gear tires to
seal the main gear well.

I'm not sure what you mean by asking if the gear are a part of the
new wing.  To me, they are separate structures, though intimately
related.

Terry

--
Terry