Re: safest airframes ?

From:         akrodriguez@tasc.com (A. Kevin Rodriguez)
Date:         31 Aug 94 14:59:35

To set the record straight:

The USAir La Guardia accident involved a Fokker F-28 Mk.4000 and not
the F-100 as is being mentioned.  Many claim that the F-100 is a next
generation of the F-28 but I'm not sure if this is true.  It's been
a while since I've looked at the Type Certificate Data Sheet.  However,
I would say that the wing is the problem.  The F-28 does not, to my
understanding, have leading edge slats.  The most miniscule amounts
of contamination on the wing change performance.  The first generation
DC-9 also has the conspicuous absence of leading edge slats which may
have been on of the leading cause of the Air Florida DC-9 accident at
Washington Nat'l Arpt.

Without regard to accidents, I would say that any aiframe which has
these problems could not be included in a discussion of safest
airframes.  We could start a whole new thread on discussions about
their operation in snow and ice.

Even aircraft with good records (e.g., in my opinion the B-757) have
their own set of problems because proper operational constraints
are not being provided to the flying and ATC communities.  We could
go on and on about this starting with the American DC-10 accident at
Chicago O'Hare (lost engine and hydraulics, read the minutes of the
Congressional hearings).  The plane could have been saved.

My point is that many accidents could be avoided if all involved were
properly educated.  Maybe this discussion should be on the safest
airframe/operator combination.

A. Kevin Rodriguez  (AKRodriguez@TASC.com)
The Analytic Sciences Corporation (TASC)
Reading, Massachusetts