Questions about flight recorders

From:         Hank Strub <strub@interval.com>
Date:         31 Aug 94 14:59:35

Hi,

I am not as current on aviation issues as I used to be, so please
excuse this message if it is not relevant.

About two years ago, I have memories of a European country (perhaps
the Netherlands) trying an experiment where they were trying video
recorders in cockpits, and using flight recorders that would keep
records of a whole flight (not just the most recent half-hour).

Was this experiment actually run?  How were the recordings used, and
how was the experiment perceived by different communities?

My current interest is in privacy issues of recording people
at-work.  Pointers to articles or papers on the history of flight
recorders (I remember hearing about political battles surrounding
them) will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
 --Hank
Henry B. (Hank) Strub                           strub@interval.com
Interval Research                          Office:  (415) 354-0919
1801-C Page Mill Rd.                          Fax:  (415) 354-0872
Palo Alto, CA  94304    --This signature still under constructio