Re: Flight Over South-Pole? Maps?

From:         clive@sco.com (Clive D.W. Feather)
Date:         31 Aug 94 14:59:35

>> Is there any Airline which fly exactly (+/- 50km) over (theoretical)
>> South Pole?
> There's no reason why they *couldn't* do so, though one might worry
> about boundary conditions in navigation software.  I recall reading
> that one MD-11, during the certification tests, spent several weeks
> based in Alaska flying around and over the North Pole, making sure
> nothing went wierd when all directions became south.

As I understand it, from a description I read of the Mount Erebus crash,
once inside the Arctic/Antarctic circles navigation is done using an
alternative co-ordinate system (G (Grid) instead of T (True) or
M (Magnetic)) where the "poles" are on the equator. So, while you have
to remember that a bearing of Grid 090 is not necessarily True east, and
may indeed be either True north or True south, there are no sudden
anomalies at the pole.

Also, remember that magnetic navigation is useless at those latitudes.

--
Clive D.W. Feather     | Santa Cruz Operation    | If you lie to the compiler,
clive@sco.com          | Croxley Centre          | it will get its revenge.