United ad

From:         grichard@avarice.ugcs.caltech.edu (Rich Benzinger)
Date:         31 Aug 94 02:17:23
Followups:    1 2 3

I recently noticed an ad for United Airlines (a propos of their employees'
buyout) that depicted several hundred United workers standing around and
atop a 747.  In particular, something like a hundred people appeared to be
standing along the fuselage, and people were lined up along the front edge
of one wing, from its root to about 80 % of the distance out.

The picture set me to wondering:  was the effect matted together in a darkroom,
or is a 747 really able to withstand that amount of weight on its wings and
airframe without damage?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Rich Benzinger
grichard@hearts.bsd.uchicago.edu