Re: Cabin lights dimmed during finals

From:         irksome@netcom.com (Ian Urquhart)
Date:         31 Aug 94 02:17:23

I noticed on a recent Delta flight on a Boeing 727 during the middle of
the day that the cabin lights were dimmed for landing.  This upsets the
"glare-ruining-the-view-at-night" theory.  I still reckon it's a throw
back to the old days when too many lights on might have caused too great
a load on generators in the event of a balked landing or go-around in
the same way the mixtures are set to rich and props are set to the fine
pitch to enable the engines to produce max power.  As anyone who has read
the FAA regs knows, some really do date back to the days of stick and
rudder flying.  Like the light signals for instance; can anyone imagine
trying to control traffic with flashing light signals?

Ian Urquhart
irksome@netcom.com