Re: Cabin lights dimmed during finals at night

From:         kyrkos@bcvms.bc.edu
Date:         31 Aug 94 02:17:23

>>brightly lit.  I'm not sure I agree with the theory that this practice
>>allows the passenger's eyes to adjust to darkness in the event of a crash.

Most of the times I have flown BA transatlantic, when the flights leave late
in the evening, going east, the announcement before dimming the lights is
something like "safety regulations require that we turn off the cabin lights
during take off and landing; we will turn them on again a few minutes into the
flight" or something like that. So, I suppose the official reason must be
to allow the passenger's eyes to adjust to darkness in the event of an
emergency. Otherwise why would they always mention "safety regulations"?

							S.K.