Re: Cabin lights dimmed during finals at night

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         22 Aug 94 01:35:55

In article <airliners.1994.1518@ohare.Chicago.COM> stevcaisse@aol.com (StevCaisse) writes:
>I work for a US airline.  We also dim the lights for night landings.  We
>do this to afford the passengers a better view of the lights on the
>ground, (i.e. for better sightseeing).  Glare on the inside of cabin
>windows makes it difficult to see outside at night when the cabin is
>brightly lit.  I'm not sure I agree with the theory that this practice
>allows the passenger's eyes to adjust to darkness in the event of a crash.

Yeah.  My experience flying around at night, even in the cockpit--"dim
lights" are okay, but the accomodation isn't that great.  If you do manage
to fully adjust (a process which can take up to 45 minutes), it can be ruined
by an instant of flash (explosion, strobe, the twit with the reading
light).

Even in the cockpit, lights-out is more for reducing the amount of glare/
contrast with the outside scene, and less with any goal toward night-
accomodation.  Some captains even like to have the dome light or panel
fluorescents on all the way down.

Besides, odds are excellent that anything which causes a failure of the
emergency lighting system will be accompanied by considerable amounts of
dense smoke in the cabin; you'll be groping your way out in broad daylight,
too.

rdd@netcom.com                         aero-simulation@rascal.ics.utexas.edu