Re: 767 Service Ceiling

From:         jfc@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (John F Carr)
Date:         21 Aug 94 15:35:10

Eric Hoffman <eric@mcs.eurocontrol.fr> wrote:

>Related point: are you legally allowed to fly (or plan to fly) a
>commercial airliner above its service ceiling? I tend to believe that
>you are suppose to keep some maneuvrability margin in the vertical plane
>(same stuff as more the 1.2 g margin). But that's a guess.

I think there is an altitude limit but it isn't necessarily determined
by rate of climb; the limit might be set where the manufacturer stopped
testing during type certification.

I heard this in a conversation about the Lear Jet; there was one model
that had a high service ceiling (49000'?) and that wasn't even the real
ceiling, that was just what they chose to demonstrate to the FAA and get
approval for.

--
    John Carr (jfc@mit.edu)