Fokker 100 & RR Tay

From:         Rob Sherry <sherry@a.cs.okstate.edu>
Date:         21 Aug 94 15:35:10

Does the first stage of the compressor in the Rolls Royce Tay normally turn
when the engine is at idle thrust? I noticed on two different American F100
planes that while sitting at the gate the front fans were turning at a pretty
good rate, though the engines appeared to be at idle.

I also noticed that roughly 8 feet from the tips of both wings there was a
narrow black stripe painted from the leading to the trailing edge of the wing.
I can't tell if it wrapped around the bottom of the wing or not. Anyone know
what this is for? Some kind of icing indicator, perhaps?

Rob