Re: Engine makers: 5. Future

From:         Andrew Chuang <chuanga@iia.org>
Date:         21 Aug 94 15:35:10

Previously I wrote:

> What's in the future?
> =====================

> Global collaborations have been proven to be very effective in the engine
> business.  The most recent one teamed up SNECMA and MTU of Europe with Pratt
> and GE of the US to build a 20,000-lb thrust class engine to compete with
> BMW-RR's BR700.  The program is dubbed "Project Blue" and the teaming of
> several rivals certainly makes the cooperation very interesting.

Someone in Germany sent me an e-mail informing me about the cancellation of
Project Blue.  The news is also reported in this week's Flight International.
I guess it's just too good to be true that four major engine companies
would collaborate.  Instead of Project Blue, CFM International will study
the CFM56 Lite and CFM88.  The latter is derived from SNECMA's military M88
engine.  P&W also have two designs on the drawing board: the PW8000 and
JTF180; it will collaborate with MTU on the JTF180.  (Don't know why P&W
skip the PW6000 designation, perhaps the 45000-lb thrust ADP will be the
PW6000.)

         |  H Andrew Chuang    chuanga@iia.org  |