Engines

From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date:         21 Aug 94 15:35:10

	Great series of articles on commercial engines!  Just a few quick
notes on Karl's comments.

	To say the CF6 is a derivative of the TF-39 is a bit of a long reach.
Look carefully at a TF-39 - for starters it is the only high bypass turbofan
with a 1 1/2 row LP fan!  Yes, one row (the first) has blades that only go
half way out, where they come to a fixed shroud that then has fixed stators
going to the outer casing!  Other turbofans have core superchargers, but they
are always behind the LP fan.  There are a lot of other differences between
the two engines.

	The early CFM56 export problems were due to the ancestory of the
core - it is the core of the F101, as found in the B-1 bomber!

	Lastly, the GE engine on the Convair 880 were straight turbojets,
but I believe that the 990 had aft fan engines.  The GE aft fan engines
were also flown on a Caravelle (I think called the Caravelle Horizon), but
never entered service.  Additionally, the Caravelle entered service with
RR Avons, but late production Caravelles had P&W JT8Ds.  This and the
Mercure are little know JT8D customers.