Re: safest airframes ?

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         21 Aug 94 15:35:09

>How 'bout the Convair 880? Don't recall any smoking holes with that one..

It's been a while since any in-service crashes, but then it's been a
while since any 880s were in service.  When they were, there were
plenty of crashes, starting with Delta's N8804E which was destroyed
in Atlanta less than a month after delivery.  Others include

    TWA (N820TW) at Kansas City (9/13/65)
    Japan Domestic Airlines (JA8030) at Tokyo (8/26/66)
    Cathay Pacific (VR-HFX) at Hong Kong (11/5/67)
    TWA (N821TW) at Cincinati (11/21/67)
    Cathay Pacific (VR-HFZ) at Pleiku, South Vietnam (6/15/72)
    Delta (N8807E) collision with a DC-9 at Chicago (12/20/72)

Two more were lost on takeoff in Latin America in 1980.  Another one
(N880SR, belonging to Gorth Air) was destroyed in May 1983 though I'm
not certain what the circumstances were.

The most recent 880 crash certainly can't be counted against the 880's
record since it was intended to crash and burn -- the FAA crashed an
880 in November 1986 as part of a test.

>Also, are you considering the F-100 and the MD-11 as derivatives? I don't
>recall any hull losses on those types.

I thought one of US Air's crashes at La Guardia had been an F-100, but
I can't pin it down.  I do recall there being some discussion about
the Fokkers not having thrust reversers and this possibly contributing
to the crash.  If anyone can e-mail me details I'd appreciate it.

Also, Air Mauritania put on down at Tidjikja on July 1st, killing 94.
This accident wasn't widely reported because the US Air crash at Char-
lotte the next day grabbed most of the media's attention.  In any case,
the reports I've seen say it was an F-28.  Air Mauritania owned a pair
of F-28-4000s, with 79 seats.  I don't know if the recent crash involved
one of these aircraft, and if so, how they killed 94 people, or if they
very recently acquired F-100s.

In any case, I've seen several sources which list the "F-100" as an
F-28-0100, so I consider it a derivative.

The MD-11 is clearly a derivative of the DC-10, except as listed by
the type certificate.  That, like the designation, is clearly an
intent to obscure the ties to the DC-10.

>And yes, with the exception of the Concorde, every Airbus airframe has
>had a hull loss.

Not to pick on Airbus (they don't need any help), but Concorde is not
an Airbus airframe.  While it was built by BAC and Aerospatiale, two
of the three largest Airbus partners, Airbus was just coming into
being when the first Concorde flew.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls