Re: Cabin Light Dimming on final.

From:         jbrevard@aol.com (JBrevard)
Date:         21 Aug 94 15:35:08

In article <airliners.1994.1502@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Scott Decker
<decker_s@scs.unr.edu> writes:

>...cabin lights were dimmed or turned off on final approach. I was
> wondering if anybody knows why the A/L (not all do this I'm sure?)
> do this?

Dimming lights would make it easier to see if power were to fail during
approach and landing.  The cockpit crew doesn't benefit much from this,
but the cabin crew and passengers would.  One's eyes would be somewhat
accustomed to whatever lighting was available from outside the aircraft.

This is, of course, useless if you can't put down your paperback and
decide to turn on your own reading light.  You'd be blind for a few (maybe
critical) moments  in an emergency.  The cabin crew, too, might not be
able to see vital equipment or controls.
----
Jim Brevard    jbrevard@aol.com    jbrevard@ix.netcom.com