video of Al Haynes' talk at NASA Dryden available

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         20 Jul 94 01:51:50
Followups:    1 2 3

While tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of Neil Armstrong and Buzz
Aldrin landing on the moon, with barely any fuel left, today is the
5th anniversary of another landing which in many ways was probably
trickier, since it took place over half an hour after the last of
the aircraft's hydraulic fluid had drained away.  I'm talking about
United's flight 232, a DC-10, which crashed at Sioux City, Iowa, on
July 19, 1989.

The fact that 185 of the 296 people aboard survived is a tribute to
the skill and teamwork (and luck) of the pilots.  Capt. Al Haynes,
who was in command of flight 232, gave a talk at NASA Ames Dryden
Flight Research Facility on May 24, 1991.  Mary Shafer was generous
enough to send me a 1st generation copy of the video tape of that
talk so that I could make it available to sci.aeronautics.airliners
readers, as well as other interested folks on the net.

The tape is standard VHS and runs for approximately 80 minutes.  I
have made arrangements to have professional copies made on quality
tapes.  The cost is $15 US, including postage in the United States
and Canada.  If you'd like a copy, please send a check for US $15
and your mailing address to

    Al Haynes Video
    c/o Karl Swartz
    2144 Sand Hill Rd.
    Menlo Park, CA 94025

If you're outside the United States, please make sure your check is
payable through a US bank.  Also, unless you're in Canada, you'll
need to contact me for postal charges, which probably will be higher.

Tapes will be sent out the week of August 8th.  (I intend to do
another run of the tape later if there is enough demand.)

If you're just interested in a transcript, Robert Dorsett posted one
to sci.aeronautics.airliners last year.  Archives of the newsgroup are
available for anonymous ftp on ftp.kei.com and rascal.ics.utexas.edu;
the file containing the transcript is archive-1993b.Z.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls