Re: DC-3 Upgrades

From:         Joseph_Hall@sat.mot.com (Joseph Hall)
Date:         09 Jul 94 21:18:35

Seems it was mentor21@aol.com (Mentor21) who said:
>In article <airliners.1994.1422@ohare.Chicago.COM>, David Lednicer
><dave@amiwest.com> writes:
>
>David,
>I believe the Basler DC-3 wing reinforcement terminates the inspection
>requirement on the wing and allows for a vastly prolonged airframe life...
>
>"the only way to replace a DC-3 is with another DC-3...
>
>the only way to get rid of them is to pressurize them..."

There was an episode of NOVA broadcast here last week entitled something
like "The Plane That Changed the World," about the birth and continuing
life of the DC-3.  They had some footage of the highest-time DC-3,
which is still in service, with, if I recall correctly, 88,000 hours
to its credit.

Wow.  What exactly would "vastly prolonged" mean to that plane?

--
Joseph Nathan Hall | Joseph's Law of Interface Design: Never give your users
Software Architect | a choice between the easy way and the right way.