Re: ATR Revocation

From:         nduehr@netcom.com (Nathan N. Duehr)
Date:         06 Jul 94 12:02:14

Robert Dorsett (rdd@netcom.com) wrote:
: In article <airliners.1994.1407@ohare.Chicago.COM> W. T. McCandless <wayne@heman.jsc.nasa.gov> writes:
: >
: >Wait a minute.  So what are you saying, that it's acceptable for the
: >captain to leave the aircraft with no one at the controls for even the
: >short interval that it would take for the RFO to take the controls?

: Well, yes, actually, I think that departing the airplane would be a very bad
: thing, even if a temporary absence.  But in this case, it would appear he only
: stepped outside the cockpit for a minute. :-)

: But wait a minute.  So what are you saying, that it's acceptable to destroy a
: pilot's career for a single indiscretion which did *not*, in fact, pose a
: threat to safety?

This may seem extreme to you, but the passengers in the back have *paid
for* a flight crew that is doing the job 100% of the time.  Yes,
overwater flights must be booring, but in reality there had better always
be something to do in a cockpit.  Hell, if you're bored, turn off the
autopilot and find out how rusty you are at hand-flying the tub.

The recent stories of the Airbus crash in Russia where the young boy may
have been at the controls instead of a qualified pilot should be enough
to refute your claims that pilot's leaving their seats without someone
else who is qualified at the controls is not a safety problem.

If the guys up front don't want to fly it, let me up there, but don't
make me trust my life to a computer.  How many times has yours hiccuped
since you owned it?  Everyone whines about the rules and the guy who
broke them is classified as a "victim" when he's caught and punished.  He
read the FAR's.  If he didn't want to take them seriously, he shouldn't
have been in the cockpit of a commercial aircraft.  He can go kill
himself in a private aircraft any day he pleases, I won't deny him his
own right to ignorance, but he will *not* endanger a passenger's life
(however trifling it may seem) and get away with it.

As my mom used to say... NO "BUTS".

--
Nathan N. Duehr - nduehr@netcom.com

PPASEL, N0NTZ, Pikes Peak 120 (CAP), 76 Senior Sqdn. Comm Officer
Member: Natl. Weather Service "Skywarn" Severe Weather Spotting Team,
Amateur Radio Emergency Services, Rocky Mountain Radio League.
"Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says..."