Slips?

From:         ditka!sgiblab!uunet.uu.net!crazy!a904246 (Chris Wesley         (0013 cxw ))
Date:         06 Jul 94 00:52:21

In reading this group, I recently saw a reference to the pilot doing
"slips" on final approach - the implication was that this was to lose
height.

ON my first flight ever (a Braniff 747 to Dallas from London), I was
alarmed when the pilot did several things which might have been "slips".

The plain was banked to about 45 degrees, and my perception was that it
fell quite dramatically, before the plane was righted. he did this maybe
4 times.

I have never experienced it since in a career involving many flights
around the world.

So - was this a slip ? Why did he do it ? Please tell me more.

Thanks, Chris Wesley