Re: Fuel dumping

From:         ricktarrel@aol.com (RickTarrel)
Date:         06 Jul 94 00:52:21

In article <airliners.1994.1405@ohare.Chicago.COM>, gclst1+@pitt.edu
(Grant C Lynde) writes:

>When is fuel dumping used?  I understand that it may be necessary when a
>plane has to make an emergency landing.  But is it ever used on a regular
>basis?  And if so, wouldn't this become an environmental problem?

Fuel dumping is only used when an aircraft has to land, and is above
is max landing weight due to unburned fuel. This usually only happens
when a problem arises during the first portion of a flight. Although
aircraft can land at their takeoff weights, usually without a
problem, when the weight is above the max certificated landing
weight, the FAA requires an "overweight landing" inspection, to be
sure that nothing was bent. In general, jet fuel (a form of kerosene)
that is dumped overboard is actually atomized as it leaves the
aircraft. When done at sufficient altitudes, the concentration of the
jet fuel is so small as to pose no identifiable health hazard.
Dumping fuel is done at the discretion of the Captain. Most airlines
and transport aircraft flight operations manuals discuss the
considerations to be made when a fuel dumping decision is
contemplated. Environmental concerns are usually among the
considerations recommended.