Re: ATR Revocation

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         06 Jul 94 00:52:20

In article <airliners.1994.1407@ohare.Chicago.COM> W. T. McCandless <wayne@heman.jsc.nasa.gov> writes:

>Wait a minute.  So what are you saying, that it's acceptable for the
>captain to leave the aircraft with no one at the controls for even the
>short interval that it would take for the RFO to take the controls?

Well, yes, actually, I think that departing the airplane would be a very bad
thing, even if a temporary absence.  But in this case, it would appear he only
stepped outside the cockpit for a minute. :-)

But wait a minute.  So what are you saying, that it's acceptable to destroy a
pilot's career for a single indiscretion which did *not*, in fact, pose a
threat to safety?

To ignore the circumstances, and instead make the pilot an "example" so no
others will follow?

Suspension, yes, fines, yes, revocation, no.  Extreme and uncalled for.  It's
an "enforcer" mindset.

--
Robert Dorsett
rdd@netcom.com