A330 Crashes, 7 die

From:         rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         06 Jul 94 00:52:19

An A330 test aircraft crashed and burned at Toulouse today, killing
all 7 crew members.

The A330 in question was the first to be equipped with Pratt and Whitney
engines.  This configuration is not in commercial service yet.

Witnesses said the craft took off and climbed very steeply, then veered
to the left.  The engines "cut" (from the press report) and then it
crashed at the end of the runway.

The A330 is a fly-by-wire craft like it's older, smaller companion the
A320.  The A320 has suffered a number of crashes in its short life and
this A330 crash is sure to add to the controversy.

The press release said that the A330 had been built to compete with the
Boeing 777.  It is, of course, the other way around.  I can't imagine this
will do Airbus's sales any good, though I doubt that Boeing is happy to
see a crash like this.

RNA