Re: Canadian 757 out of fuel incident?

From:         gkc@bunny.udev.cdc.com (Gordon Chace)
Date:         30 Jun 94 00:34:17

In article <airliners.1994.1393@ohare.Chicago.COM> you write:
|> I suspect you're referring to the incident known as the Gimli Glider,
|> which involved an Air Canada 767 (not 757) on a flight from Toronto or
|> Montreal to the western part of Canada, probably Vancouver.  There was
|> some confusion over the units (liters, gallons, imperial gallons) used
|> to measure the amount of fuel loaded, and the aircraft ended up with a
|> lot less fuel than it should have had.  They ran out over Manitoba.
|> details -- beyond recommending the book The Gimli Glider, which is all
|> about the incident -- could they please post them?
|>
|> >If the amount of fuel on board was way too low, wouldn't they notice
|> >that the plane was much lighter than it should be?
|>
|> Good question.  Given the range of the 767, and that they were short
|> by enough fuel for maybe 1500 miles, the difference may not have been
|> distinguishable from lighter passengers and baggage than normal.

Karl, I read a book whose title was something more in the style of
yellow journalism, something like Flameout at 41000 Feet or somesuch.

Not only were they confused over units of measure, but they had a known
instrument failure with no spares readily available.  Their minimum
equipment list at that time allowed them to perform dipstick measurements
at selected stops then use calculations to figure out how much to add.
I believe the MEL was made stricter after the incident since the procedure
they used allowed single mistakes that would not get double-checked.

They originally intended to glide to the active airport at Winnipeg
but very quickly calculated that they were just a little too far away.
Gimli turned out to be actually a little too close and they had to do
a slip on final.  Gimli had been closed long enough that its pavement
had been turned over to some motorsports people who needed to look up
and realize the need to clear out.

The book claims that steep-than-expected climbout was noticed but not
thought about very much.  Hard to tell how reliable the book is when
it claims to read the minds of the participants.

--
Gordon K. Chace                                 voice (612) 482-6524
OpenVision Technologies, Inc.                   fax   (612) 482-2383