Re: No Smoking?

From:         greg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory R. TRAVIS)
Date:         28 Jun 94 01:11:19

In <airliners.1994.1321@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>On the subject of smoking, I also recall some comments by a friend
>who had seen the effects on a TWA L-1011 -- plenums that had to be
>cleaned regularly because they would get coated with a think, tarry
>goo.  That leads me to wonder how much the airlines are saving in
>maintenance because of the non-smoking flights!

Some, no doubt, but I recall a conversation with a United maintenance
supervisor who related that the "tarry goo" had the beneficial effect
of closing many cabin leaks - especially around skin lap joints, etc.

It may well be apocryphal, but he claimed that the increase in bleed
air necessary to pressurize new aircraft that had never been smoked
in was substantial and effected fuel economy!

greg