Re: wake turbulence

From:         ehahn@fairlite.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         28 Jun 94 01:11:19

In article <airliners.1994.1377@ohare.Chicago.COM> barr@netcom.com (Keith Barr) writes:
   ehahn@fairlite.mitre.org (Ed Hahn) writes:
   > The wingtip vortex strength is proportional to the amount of lift the wing
   > must generate to stay in the air (to the first order).

   The strength of the vortices are proportional (can't remember what order)
   to the angle of attack, not the lift generated.  Lift is fairly constant
   through an entire flight regime, but the strength of the vortices changes
   throughout the flight envelope.  I know this sounds odd, but it is
   actually excess thrust that makes an airplane climb, not excess lift.
----
I stand corrected.  It's angle of attack / lift coefficient, not the
actual amount of lift.

ed

////////   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   \\\\\\\\