Re: Singapore Airlines' $10.3b order

From:         hac@kinkoman.res.utc.com (H. Andrew Chuang)
Date:         27 Jun 94 12:01:08

Karl Swartz wrote:

>>... Cathay Pacific's 6 (plus 4 leased aircraft originally destined
>>for Philippine Airlines), and Air Canada's 6.  (Am I right, Karl?)
>
>I don't see the November, 1993 order for six A340s by China Eastern
>in your list.  But you also don't mention that Continental cancelled
>seven A340 orders along with the A330 cancellations in March, 1993,

Obviously, I'm getting old.  Thanks for the corrections.

>>I believe, with this order, SIA have ordered more B747's than any
>>other airlines except JAL.  JAL have ordered ~100 B747's, SIA ~85,
>>and BA ~75.
>
>Are you including options?  If so, United should be second.  They
>acquired 18 747-122s (the original order may have been bigger; I'm
>not sure) and 2 -222Bs.  Their first 747-400 order was for 15 (with
>the order for 101 737-300s, at the time Boeing's biggest single sale)
>and then United ordered 60 more (half options) as part of their 777
>order.  That's 95 747s.

Options are not included, nor are cancelled orders counted.  SIA took
delivery from Boeing 19 B747-212's, 1 B747-212F, 11 B747-312's, 3
B747-312C's and 25 B747-412's, and before the 6/22 order, they still had
11 B747-412's and 5 B747-412F's on firm order.  Including the 6/22 order,
they have ordered 81 B747's and may have either 11 or 24 options.  The
latest number that I have on United B747-422's (12/93 Flight International)
showed UA had 22 -422's in service and 15 -422's on order.  (Obviously,
they cancelled a lot of B747 orders!)  So, even with the two ex-NW B747
that they took delivery directly from Boeing, they had ordered 59 B747's
from Boeing.  Nonetheless, UA operates at least 15 more B747's than SIA.
(SIA had a very aggressive fleet renewal plan that the airline sold its
first B747-212 after only six years of operation!  Now, they are pulling
"old" planes out of the fleet after at least ten years of service.)

Since you brought up the biggest single sale: wasn't UA's order of 30+30
B747-400's and 34+34 B777-200's the biggest single sale ever?

>As noted above, A340s were cancelled as well as a larger number of
>A330s.  Boeing actually got its foot in the door with *all* of its
>large twins -- Continental hadn't previously had the 757, either.

According to my source (based on some data complied by Aviation Data
Service, Inc.), Continental did have 25+25 B757's on "order" before their
last Chapter 11.

>>BTW, other than Korean's undecided B777 powerplant and Continental's
>>R-R-powered B757's, all of last year's major engine orders went to
>>General Electric!
>
>Right after you left GE for Pratt, eh?  8-)

I am not sure if I understand your comment.  Last year, (when I was at GE)
GE was doing relatively well in a very depressed market.  Nonetheless, one
has to be reminded that Continental was brought out of Chapter 11 by GE
Capitals.  Also, Southwest's B737-700 order was an indirect result of GE's
innovative idea of sharing the development cost of the B737-6/7/800 with
Boeing.  On the other hand, Pratt seems to be doing much better this year.
They got the JAL B777 order after two years of fierce competition.  SIA's
order is certainly a plus.  Also, they probably are a little bit better
poised for the majority of Saudia's order than GE.  Furthermore, Pratt might
just have the inside track for Korean Air's B777 order, since, I believe,
KAL's A330's are to be fitted with the PW4168's.  I certainly would like to
think that my presence in East Hartford helped Pratt's turn-around. 8-)

H. Andrew Chuang(hac@utrc.utc.com)