Re: Aeroflot?

From:         rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         26 Jun 94 21:42:04

>(The Tu-156 also has six-wheeled mains -- where the otherwise similar
>777 has two-wheeled mains!  Obviously the aircraft wasn't all *that*
>heavy, but they wanted to use unpaved runways, which of course could
>not handle as much weight within a tire footprint as a paved runway.)

Karl, what are you saying here?  What's a Tu-156?  All Tupolevs I've
ever heard of end in 4.  And the only Tupolev I've ever heard of that
is similar to a 777 is the Tu-204, which is a 757 clone.  Is the 156
some sort of rarity?

Also, you just got through saying that the 777 has 6-wheel mains.
So why are they now 2-wheel?  And if you really meant 757, doesn't
the 757 have 4-wheel mains?  I'm confused.

Another example is the Indian Airlines Airbus 320, which has 4-wheel
mains for soft/bad runways, whereas all other A320s have 2-wheel mains.

RNA