Re: Thunderstorms

From:         STOCKER@alpha.salem.ge.com (David Stocker)
Date:         26 Jun 94 16:18:26

In <airliners.1994.1350@ohare.Chicago.COM> STOCKER@alpha.salem.ge.com writes:

> In <airliners.1994.1335@ohare.Chicago.COM> laewell@iastate.edu writes:
>
> > 	While taking a recent flight from LaGuardia on a
> > 727-200 we flew through a rather significant thunderstorm.
> > The rain was coming down pretty hard but what got my
> > attention was at least one lightning flash that was not
> > too far from the plane.  Are most commercial airliners
> > protected against lightning flashes?  Has there ever
> > been a record of lightning striking an airliner and if
> > so, what were the consequences?
>
> Lightning strikes on aircraft are fairly common.  Yes, they

A timely followup - yesterday at lunch I was out at the
Roanoke airport (ROA), conducting some business.  There was
a large thunderstorm about 5nm north of the field.  As I
was walking from my car to the terminal a huge lightning
bolt hit a county resivoir about 4nm north of the airport,
then within seconds I saw a Delta Communter Brasilia (two
engine turboprop) start on it's way down the runway.  As
he climbed through about 400 feet, he got hit, too.  It
appeared to be a small air to ground bolt that changed
direction right at the plane.  Of course I couldn't tell
if it hit the fuselage, wing, etc.  He continued on his
merry way.

[Note:  when there's TRW's close to the airport, we G/A
pilots decide that's a good time to have another Coke in the
lobby!  If we're already in the air, we decide it's a good
time to fly somewhere else!]

Dave Stocker
stocker_dg@salem.ge.com         (PP-ASEL, CAP, EAA, AOPA)
GE Drive Systems, 1501 Roanoke Blvd, Salem, Virginia, USA
703-387-7844   GE Dial Comm: 278-7844  Fax:  703-387-8651