Re: Russian 'UFO' shaped plane? Anyone?

From:         shafer@rigel.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
Date:         22 Jun 94 16:57:49

On 13 Jun 94 19:31:48 , "Michael P. Hartley" <SYS_MPH%PV46@hobbes.cca.rockwell.com> said:

Michael> Does anyone have stats on US lifting-body research?  I recall
Michael> two prototypes, one made from plywood and un-powered. (f2n1?
Michael> some long designation)

M2-F1, M2-F2, M2-F3, HL-10, X-24A, X-24B, are the manned lifting
bodies.  The M2-F1 was the unpowered plywood aircraft, the M2-F2 is
the one you see crashing in the opening scenes of "The Six Million
Dollar Man", the M2-F3 is what they rebuilt the M2-F2 into, the HL-10
is the one you see coming off the hooks on the NB-52B in "The Six
Million Dollar Man", the X-24A was a joint project with the USAF, the
X-24B was the follow-on rebuild of the X-24B.

We flew lifting bodies here from 1966 to 1975, with a total of 144
flights.

The M2-F1 is here at Dryden, as is the HL-10.  The M2-F3 is hanging in
the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.  The X-24B is on display in the
USAF museum at Wright-Patterson AFB.

There's a proposed lifting body, the HL-20, floating around.  NASA
Langley has come up with this as a personel mover for Space Station.
It looks a lot like an HL-10 on steroids.

--
Mary Shafer                                                   DoD #362 KotFR
SR-71 Chief Engineer         NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA