Re: Jet fuel question

From:         jod@equator.com (John Setel O'Donnell)
Date:         17 Jun 94 23:59:07

In article <airliners.1994.1330@ohare.Chicago.COM> stedder@tulsix.utulsa.edu (Stephen Tedder) writes:
>... Jet aircraft are much
>more efficient than automobiles and therefore burn much less fuel,
>per passenger-mile.

I fly SEA-NRT and back with some regularity :-(

Northwest commonly posts a data sheet in the cabin regarding the
flight.  The NRT->SEA flight is about 4700 miles.  Typically they
go through about 34,000 gallons of fuel, carrying maybe 300-350
passengers.  At 300 passengers that's under 42mpg, worse than
driving a VW Rabbit Diesel (similar fuel energy/gal) by yourself.
On the other hand, it's 10x faster.

--
John Setel O'Donnell                      jod@equator.com
Equator Technologies, Inc.                206-328-6544 voice/fax