Re: Russian 'UFO' shaped plane? Anyone?

From:         "Michael P. Hartley" <SYS_MPH%PV46@hobbes.cca.rockwell.com>
Date:         13 Jun 94 19:31:48

   The large transport was commonly called the 'Black Sea Monster',
roughly the size of a modern sub from sat. photos, and it did actually work...
I believe it was a very large ground-effect vehicle (not a hover-craft), but it
may have been a very large hydro-foil craft. (this is from vague memory, and I
don't have the reference to where it is from)
   It looked (from the photo I saw) vaguely like the old Merrimac, without
stacks ;^)

   This new aircraft looks to be a lifting-body, with horizontal and vertical
stabs.  I recall that the US abandoned lifting-body reasearch some time ago.

Does anyone have stats on US lifting-body research?   I recall two prototypes,
one made from plywood and un-powered. (f2n1? some long designation)

       Michael P. Hartley         /     Physicist by Choice
  sys_mph@afds.cca.ROCKWELL.com   )  Mathematician by Accident
    loadstone@ins.infonet.net     \    Programmer by Mistake