Boeing 777 First Flight was today - June 12

From:         Stephen L Nicoud <stephen.nicoud@Boeing.Com>
Date:         13 Jun 94 19:31:47

 BOEING 777 COMPLETES FIRST FLIGHT

 The Boeing 777 took to the sky for the first time at 11:45 a.m. PDT Sunday,
 June 12 embarking on the most comprehensive flight-test program in the
 history of commercial aviation.

 Sunday's three-hour, 48-minute flight was the first of more than 4,800 test
 flights planned for the latest addition to the Boeing family of commercial
 jetliners.  Coincidentally, the flight came almost 78 years to the day
 after the June 15, 1916, first flight of the first Boeing airplane, the B&W
 seaplane.

 "We're doing pretty well right now," Chief Pilot John Cashman, said moments
 after the airplane lifted off from Everett's Paine Field.  After putting
 the airplane through various maneuvers Cashman radioed back that the 777 is
 "as smooth as can be."

 During its maiden flight, the 777 broke through the clouds at 15,000 feet
 (4,615 meters) and reached a maximum altitude of 19,000 feet (5,846
 meters).  Decked out in the traditional Boeing paint scheme of red, white
 and blue, the airplane completed several circular routes over a portion of
 Washington state heading northwest along Puget Sound, passing over the San
 Juan Islands, turning east and crossing the Cascade mountain range before
 looping back toward Everett.

 "I'm proud to be part of this," said Ken Higgins, Boeing director of Flight
 Test and first officer for today's mission.  "Our successful first flight
 is the result of a lot of other people's effort."

 "This airplane program is going to be a big part of our future, and it's
 off to a great start," said Frank Shrontz, who was on hand to greet the
 crew when the 777 returned to Everett.  "It's a very exciting day for all
 of us.  It's great to see a product of working together with our customers
 and suppliers turn out so well."

 Also on hand to greet the two-man crew were Phil Condit, Ron Woodard, Alan
 Mulally, vice president and general manager of the 777 program, and family
 members of the flight crew.

 Christened "Working Together" in recognition of the approach used to
 develop the jetliner with participation by airline customers, suppliers and
 the engine companies, the first 777 is powered by two Pratt & Whitney 4084
 engines.  It will be joined in the flight-test program by eight other 777s
  including two powered by General Electric GE90 engines and two with Rolls-
 Royce Trent 800 engines.

 During subsequent flight tests, 777s will be operated in both extremely hot
 and cold climates to prove the safety and reliability of the airplane's
 systems.  Flight times will vary from less than an hour to extended-range
 missions lasting nine hours.

 Successful completion of the testing program is expected to lead to the
 certification of Pratt & Whitney-powered 777s in April of next year, with
 delivery of the first customer airplane to United Airlines scheduled for
 May 15, 1995.  Certification of GE-powered 777s is expected in August 1995,
 and certification of Rolls-Royce-powered 777s anticipated in January 1996.

Stephen
--
Stephen L Nicoud <stephen.nicoud@Boeing.Com>
Software and Distributed Systems