Re: No Smoking?

From:         swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)
Date:         13 Jun 94 10:42:08

In sci.aeronautics.airliners, steve@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Steve McDowell)
writes:
 >Just an anecdote. About a decade ago, I was flying on an Al Italia
 >DC-9 from Rome to Athens. I had asked for a No Smoking seat. Boy,
 >was I surprised when I discovered that, for the entire length of the
 >plane, the smokers sat on the left side of the aisle, and the rest
 >of us on the right! Not very effective.

I remember airline manufacturers recommending this arrangement since
the return air ducts were located on the left sides; thus putting smokers
on left side should have been the most effective arrangement.  However,
most airlines didn't follow this recommendation mainly because non-smokers
didn't want to sit abreast of smokers.

 >Anybody know if things have improved any?

Yes.  Most, if not all, of the airlines in the United States are now
banning smoking on flights.  However, most airports haven't banned smoking
yet.

 Steve Williams                           swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil