Re: Russian 'UFO' shaped plane? Anyone?

From:         rathinam@ins.infonet.net
Date:         02 Jun 94 11:56:43

In article <airliners.1994.1279@ohare.Chicago.COM>, clive@sco.com (Clive D.W. Feather) writes:
[...]
>The inventors also said that the plane could fly anywhere, and would not
>need a tarmac runway. I would presume that this would be uneconomic,
>because the costs of additional or stronger landing gear would outweigh
>the benefits. On the other hand, the prototype looked to be too wide to
>fit standard runways (it *might* fit Heathrow's extra wide ones) because
>of the width of the wheelbase. Then they started talking about water
>landings.

I thought that was the important part - that the airplane will
depend on ground effect.  I remember reading an (unconfirmed)
report that the ex-USSR had a large military airplane that flew
low - primarily over water - using "ground" effect and there were
plans for using it for transporting troops.

Sethu R Rathinam                                 rathinam@ins.infonet.net