Re: Q: Airliners crew headsets

From:         hoyme@src.honeywell.com (Ken Hoyme)
Date:         02 Jun 94 00:09:38

In article <airliners.1994.1288@ohare.Chicago.COM> Francis.Jambon@imag.fr (Francis JAMBON) writes:

> I would like to know if crew are usually using headsets, and what sort of
> headsets they use (passive noise-cancelling or walkman type) ?

When I have rode jumpseat on Northwest Airlines, they have typically
used headsets during takeoff and landing, but relied on cabin speakers
to pick up ATC communications en route.  The headsets I have used seem
pretty basic.  The flight deck is not so noisy that active cancelation
is required.  It is different on a General Aviation plane where you are
basically sitting behind the engine and subject to lots of noise.

> And last question : what sort of plugs you need to use headsets in Airbus
> cockpits ?

Sorry. On the A320's I have jumped, I used the headset provided for the
jumpseat without trying to unplug it to see what kind of plug it was.
You can only poke and prod so much when you are in there before they
might growl at you.  :)

Ken

Ken Hoyme                    Honeywell Technology Center
(612)951-7354                3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
Internet: hoyme@src.honeywell.com