Re: Really Long Range Commercial Transport

From:         davelett@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Richard Sun)
Date:         01 Jun 94 14:35:02

In article <airliners.1994.1261@ohare.Chicago.COM> dalden@legal.com writes:

>I'm a live customer ... I flew in Business Class on United (747-400)
>from LAX to Sydney, Australia.  At 14 hours, I understand that this is
>the longest scheduled commercial flight in the world.

Delta's Flight 89, LAX-HKG, is the longest duration nonstop flight
in the world.  It leaves LAX at 11:55A and arrives HKG 5:45P, and
if my math is correct, this is 15:50 in duration.  The other way
is 8:05P to 6:15P, or 13:10.  Part of the length of duration can
likely be attributed to the fact that the winds are unfavorable
going towards Asia.  The other factor is that the MD11 which DL
uses is slower than B747-400.  I think a BA flight shares the
title for longest duration flight, also, for some flight out of
London to somewhere in Australia or Asia.

At 7249 miles, DL89 is not the longest flight in terms of mileage,
but it's close to the top.