Statistics for air travel

From:         Gordon Watson <gcw@meteorology.edinburgh.ac.uk>
Date:         01 Jun 94 14:35:01

Does anyone have off the top of their head figures for ( or a
reference to ) the increase in air travel over the last 30 yrs,
say 1960 - 1990 ??  Miles flown would be ideal, but passenger or
aircraft numbers would be useful.

The reason why I ask is we're running climate models for the last
30 years. We have figures for aircraft emissions for 1990, but
nothing earlier, so we'd like a 'ball park' figure to scale them
by.

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Gordon.