Re: Strange 767 at Boeing Field

From:         hoyme@src.honeywell.com (Ken Hoyme)
Date:         26 May 94 12:14:44

In article <airliners.1994.1255@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

> But your first guess was closest, if not quite right -- the upper
> lobe houses an experimental infra-red sensor array.  Seems to me it
> was around the mid-80s when they did this, and as far as I know the
> project (and the plane, which really is 767 #1) has been dormant for
> the past half-dozen years or so.

The project was called the Airborne Optical Adjunct (AOA) and was (I
believe) a testbed for sensors to detect incoming missiles as part of
the SDI program.

Ken Hoyme                    Honeywell Technology Center
(612)951-7354                3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
Internet: hoyme@src.honeywell.com